Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[SOLVED] "Error saving config.ini" upon choosing 'Create a Game'

Here you can find all solved gameplay problems and bugs (beginning from Pre-Alpha 1.8.8).
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

[SOLVED] "Error saving config.ini" upon choosing 'Create a Game'

Post by KliPeH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm

After updating the game to version 1.1.1, I have attempted to create a game in order to playtest the new campaign. Choosing the option prompted some "Error saving config.ini" text to pop up.

From what I've gathered no custom options were changed in the process (server name, script list, other settings). My host settings stayed as they were before updating the game. No control scheme or profile setting has been changed either. It's just that text popping up and nothing more. What could be the cause?
1 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 pm

I have been experiencing the same thing but didn’t bother reporting since Nothing had happened like you said. However, looking back this used to happen to me in beta 1.0.2c. This text would pop up and would change my current charecter to the default “New Player”. This was when I was beta testing the steam version so I assumed it was an issue with them overlapping. Is it possible the dates files are intertwining with the new ones?
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:45 pm

This error is shown when the game can't write to the config.ini file. Normally it is allowed to write to your documents folder and overwrite the existing file, but it might be open/blocked by another program (windows handle).
0 x
Gurt

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Gurt wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:45 pm
This error is shown when the game can't write to the config.ini file. Normally it is allowed to write to your documents folder and overwrite the existing file, but it might be open/blocked by another program (windows handle).
Here's a little update.

The error occurs every time I enable more than one script at a time. With the custom settings I use (I play games with 4 scripts running), I get 2 error instances when entering the 'Create a Game' menu. The errors sometimes show up when entering the lobby, but don't for the most part. Exiting the lobby and disabling all the scripts, then going back to the main menu prevents the errors from showing up again.

With one script toggled 'On' (1 in total), the host menu can be entered without seeing the error. Enabling another script (2 in total) will show one instance of the error. Enabling 3-5 scripts will show 2 instances of the error. Enabling all the scripts I have (6 in total) shows 3-4 instances of the error. I'm not sure why the numbers are like this but that has been my experience so far.

All the scripts are in the Documents \ Superfighters Deluxe \ Scripts directory, in pure .txt form (they have not been downloaded from the Worskhop). Can that be the problem? Some scripts are private/have not been published but I could share them if that would help fix the bug.

EDIT: No other setting seems to affect this. I have changed the server's name, edited its description and toggled the ping limit off, and the settings have been saved albeit not "saving the config.ini". My custom character and custom control/display settings remain unaffected. If I restart the game everything saves properly, it's just the error appearing and nothing more, it doesn't disrupt gameplay in any way.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Fixed after v.1.1.1. Might release it as a hotfix later.
Turns out the config.ini file was saved multiple times (one time per active script) resulting in this problem.
1 x
Gurt