Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[DONE] Major feature: Campaigns

Here you can see some of our planned features for Superfighters Deluxe.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

[DONE] Major feature: Campaigns

Post by Hjarpe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Campaigns will be the "story mode" of SFD - standalone adventures that you can play through alone or with friends.

The official campaigns
-Will support singleplayer and up to 4 player co-op. Combat difficulty will scale with the number of players.
-Will be designed to be finished in under an hour. There will be shorter and longer campaigns.
-Will have multiple difficulty settings.
-Will be split into maps called "chapters". If a player dies and the other players finish the chapter, he/she will be resurrected at the beginning of the next chapter.
-You will be able to play as your own character. We may temporarily change parts of your costume, e.g. add a parka if the chapter takes place somewhere arctic.
-Will be highly replayable. Cutscenes will be very short, exposition will be minimal, and much of the dialogue will be randomized.
-What will the stories be about? We won't say, but they will expand the Superfighters universe, answer some questions and hopefully raise some new ones.
-Will have Fun™, Excitement® and the occasional Joke (patent pending).
-We may only have a couple of campaigns initially, but will keep adding them as free content after the game's release.

New tools and features
-You will of course be able to create your own campaigns in the map editor, complete with scripting and using all the assets that are in the game.
-It will be possible to script any character to move around and do things without player input, creating cutscenes and other scripted events.
-Scripting will give you full control over the camera.
-Dialogue and other texts will be presented in comic book fashion, with captions and speech balloons.
-We will probably add some gestures to make the characters more expressive.
19 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Scarface
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Scarface » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Here
I just thought what if dialogues looked something like this. Text will be placed below your character. Maybe there would be some difficulty with drawing faces.
0 x
Decisions, decisions.

Santa Claus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: fighter
SFD Account: Santa Claus
SFD Alias: (LM) Santa Claus
Started SFD: before fire
Post by Santa Claus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Oh damn yes. A lot of features comin', campaign might be da bes' of them. Waiting for this!
4 x
Originally posted by Gurt
We will keep this one even if it's a real bug - because it's cool.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Scarface wrote:Here
I just thought what if dialogues looked something like this. Text will be placed below your character. Maybe there would be some difficulty with drawing faces.
We want characters to be able to speak in real-time without freezing the game or being in "dialogue mode". So it will look more like MMORPG chat bubbles:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori ... 1-wow4.jpg

Maybe with the character name shown like this:
http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/Sketc ... 3.png.html

We might add an option to show chat messages from players in speech bubbles too. Would make sense.
2 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:23 pm

I can't wait! Do you plan on optimizing rendering and tiles? Maybe big maps will be laggy with 4 players. Is there some way to compress some of the visual data in the game?
0 x
Hold your breath.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Splinter wrote:I can't wait! Do you plan on optimizing rendering and tiles? Maybe big maps will be laggy with 4 players. Is there some way to compress some of the visual data in the game?
We're still thinking about the best way to solve that, since the engine is optimized for single-screen levels. We might go with a system for dynamically loading and unloading parts of the level. Having huge levels with millions of tiles loaded all at once is not realistic, it'll have to be divided into smaller chunks.
0 x

Kamikaze
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Clan Spetsnaz
SFD Account: SPZKamikaze
SFD Alias: Kabbit/CerealGuy/Karl Ruprecht
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.2.1 , August 2013

Post by Kamikaze » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:07 pm

I dont understand :C
1 x
8-) :ugeek: Clan Spetsnaz!

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 pm

In a typical chapter, you will have to kill a number of opponents or finish some other objective in one area (usually a sandbox-style arena like the versus maps) before you can move on to the next area. All in all, the chapter might be 5 times bigger than a normal versus map. So rather than loading the whole map at once, which would be slow on most computers, we might make it so that an area can be loaded in when the player or players get close, and unload it when they have moved on (disabling backtracking).
1 x

The Adventurer
Fighter
Fighter
Title: The Lone Wolf

Post by The Adventurer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Wawww! One of the best things in SFD, it will be awesome if have singleplayer/multiplayer campaing! And all the scripts will be ready to everyone can use it?
0 x
Good Adventures Gentlemen...

-The Adventurer

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:49 am

On the old forum I saw something about potentially unlocking cosmetics for completing things like challenges? Would that be a sort of ordeal in the official campaign, or at least challenges (i.e complete under 2 minutes, only use melee)?
0 x
hello yes

TimeWorker
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: TiME TrAVleR
SFD Alias: ClockWorker
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.2.1

Post by TimeWorker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:27 pm

campaigns oh yeah. I like the old SF campaigns but i rly dont know what was the story .But i hope this update will be the best .
2 x
DoNt FoRgEt WhAT TiME It IS!!!![/fade][/color][/shadow]

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:14 pm

The Adventurer wrote:Wawww! One of the best things in SFD, it will be awesome if have singleplayer/multiplayer campaing! And all the scripts will be ready to everyone can use it?
Yes, you'll always be able to use the same tricks that we do in the map editor.
M_M_M wrote:On the old forum I saw something about potentially unlocking cosmetics for completing things like challenges? Would that be a sort of ordeal in the official campaign, or at least challenges (i.e complete under 2 minutes, only use melee)?
For the more exotic cosmetics we might have specific challenges like that. But just completing a campaign will probably unlock you something.
1 x

PixelSkeleton
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Deadsh0t
SFD Alias: Void
Started SFD: June 2015
Post by PixelSkeleton » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Nice idea. Ive always wanted to play sfd alone when i have no internet or they are no good servers.
0 x

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 pm

What version will have intelligent CPU fighting same old Superfighters?
2 x
Just me The Predator!

kazy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Brawler
SFD Account: kazy
SFD Alias: kazy
Started SFD: December 2012

Post by kazy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:06 am

Hjarpe wrote:-We may only have a couple of campaigns initially, but will keep adding them as free content after the game's release.
Does this mean that there will be DLC in SFD? Or does this mean there will be a free version for players as like a demo or something...
0 x
Gurt wrote:I think I have always seen someone comment about how bad each and every update is. :D

Creeper
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: okokok is real #1
SFD Account: Krypa
SFD Alias: Krypa
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.6

Post by Creeper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:33 am

...If a player dies and the other players finish the chapter, he/she will be resurrected at the beginning of...
ARE there FEMALE IN THIS GAME?! :shock:

-Creeper
0 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Creeper wrote:...If a player dies and the other players finish the chapter, he/she will be resurrected at the beginning of...
ARE there FEMALE IN THIS GAME?! :shock:

-Creeper
I was referring to the player, not the character. SFD might have to remain the sausage fest it is, though female characters are something of a stretch goal for me.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Hjarpe wrote: I was referring to the player, not the character. SFD might have to remain the sausage fest it is, though female characters are something of a stretch goal for me.
Why are female characters not in-game again? I know there was an official reason but it doesn't seem like creating a separate sprite for a female fighter is that difficult. You use all the existing assets of male characters, but change the belly/waist area to be more narrow and the chest area bigger. You don't even have to create hair - judging by the different billboards female fighters are bald as well. Is it about converting all the accessories to "female format"?

I can try to create a female fighter mockup if I can find the right files (as I already tried messing with weapon textures and it's not that challenging).
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:17 pm

While it not may be hard it's very time consuming especially if certain items need to be modified to suit the female design. Time we don't have. There's also some coding behind in order to select correct items etc... That's why it's a strech goal.
0 x
Gurt

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:41 pm

An easier method would probably be to just make the base for the female fighter then have the game automatically cut off the 'excess' clothing for when equipped on the female. Ive seen a few games do this with similar design and it looks fairly decent, with none of the actual work of respriting an entire female set of clothes.
1 x
hello yes