Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

weird melee hitbox

Did you encounter a problem, exploit, glitch or bug while playing the game or running the dedicated server software? Tell us about it here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Alexbra25
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: lucky boy
SFD Account: Alexbra25
SFD Alias: |LPH| Just me
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.6

weird melee hitbox

Post by Alexbra25 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:48 am

Not sure how this happened, but the axe is hitting really far in this video. Sometimes the ranges of melee weapons are weird: sometimes they seem too short, sometimes too long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirodSmdkp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wda-FDvteX8
in this other video, it seems like the hitbox doesn't outline the back arm. I think it's not a bug in this case, but I think it could be improved.
3 x
Love will tear us apart

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm

My understanding is that the range of a melee weapon is irrelevant to it's visual art. It makes sense, the fire axe strikes should have higher range than a machete's hit and if they alter the range according to the visual art of the weapons, the fireaxe would have lesser range. so I suppose they should just alter the visual art of the weapons?
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Sree wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm
My understanding is that the range of a melee weapon is irrelevant to it's visual art. It makes sense, the fire axe strikes should have higher range than a machete's hit and if they alter the range according to the visual art of the weapons, the fireaxe would have lesser range. so I suppose they should just alter the visual art of the weapons?
Wrong,
Unless recent updates changed it, I think machete and fire axe always 've been having the very same range.

However, I'm not sure about if what is in this topic is a bug, but sometimes (playing with a good ping btw), the range from punch or melee weapons seems distorted, it's sometimes way higher or lower than usual. It can be our mind blowing us up but yeah, often, it doesn't seem very consistent.
2 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

@Sree It's not just the visual art. I tested it a bit more, here's the video:

https://youtu.be/X-g_Z_TuA_4

Zoom in and notice how the chain visually touches him while I'm on his left side, but on the right side, the chain doesn't even touch him and the hit connects. Maybe it has something to do with the hitbox shifting when a character turns around? You can see better in these screenshots:

5 x
Hold your breath.

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Noble wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Wrong,
Unless recent updates changed it, I think machete and fire axe always 've been having the very same range.

However, I'm not sure about if what is in this topic is a bug, but sometimes (playing with a good ping btw), the range from punch or melee weapons seems distorted, it's sometimes way higher or lower than usual. It can be our mind blowing us up but yeah, often, it doesn't seem very consistent.
machete and fire axe does have the very same range. I messed up right there, what I tried to convey was that if they formulated the range of a weapon according to it's visual art then machete and fire axe would have different range since the range of the fire axe looks much lesser art wise.

but anyway I seem to be wrong. as splinter depicted, it seems to be something wrong with the hitboxes.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm

There will always be small variations (like a few "SFD-pixels") for players in online games.
Analyze the pattern in the map editor as it strips away the client/server side + ping variations introduced otherwise.

The hitbox is just centered around the middle of the fighters feet which let's us keep it simple. It's not a pixel-perfect collision we're doing here, just an AABB (this also means the back arm is sticking out of the AABB while the chest is slightly inside). Some weapons' hitbox is also one pixel short of the model and some animations (like being hit) offsets you another pixel for "animation-feedback" purposes.
1 x
Gurt

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:16 am

Gurt wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm
There will always be small variations (like a few "SFD-pixels") for players in online games.
Analyze the pattern in the map editor as it strips away the client/server side + ping variations introduced otherwise.
I repeated what I did in the video (the one with the chain and the bot) in the map editor, and you're right, the hitboxes were perfect. Except for the arm being out of the hibox, but I can live with that, not every single animation will fit on a rectangle.

But, still thinking about the video I posted, I don't understand why the hitbox was wrong. I was hosting alone with this bot, how can lag interefere in a situation like this? Honestly, 1 "sfd pixel" is not a big deal for me, just wondering if it could be a simple, fixable bug, such as the hitbox not "updating" properly when a character rolls (the bot did a recovery roll before the video started, just so you know).

About the first video Alex posted, I remember I had "alt+tabbed" out of the game for a bit, so maybe my game freezing had something to do with it.
0 x
Hold your breath.