Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

I want to learn to make scripts

Share questions, scripts and tutorials related to the ScriptAPI in SFD.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
NoobChicken1
Meatbag

I want to learn to make scripts

Post by NoobChicken1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello everyone

For a couple of days i have been trying to figure out how to make scripts for this game, i have been learning a bit about C# ( i started with no knowledge of C# or any other language), looking at others scripts to see how stuff work, checking the script API. My goal is to make a script for me and my friends. Right now i don't know where to begin and i have been having a hard time understanding this stuff. I was hoping i could find some advice here like what should i learn from C# or whatever help you can because figuring this out by myself is making my head ache.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:02 pm

NoobChicken1 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:34 pm
Hello everyone

For a couple of days i have been trying to figure out how to make scripts for this game, i have been learning a bit about C# ( i started with no knowledge of C# or any other language), looking at others scripts to see how stuff work, checking the script API. My goal is to make a script for me and my friends. Right now i don't know where to begin and i have been having a hard time understanding this stuff. I was hoping i could find some advice here like what should i learn from C# or whatever help you can because figuring this out by myself is making my head ache.
Welcome to the club, the scripter's world is not too far from the programmer's one, so what you should focus on is:

Basic constructs logic (variables,conditions,loops, etc...)
Difference between object oriented programming vs procedural (not necessarily required but since SFD APIs are object-based could be worth to give it a look)
Basic math (and when I say basic I mean + - / *)
Some notions of vector math.

I've probably forgot something worth to mention, but anyway the big 5 are these.

The often-quoted problem-solving aspect is not necessarily a must when you start, it will come with time, some months if you do programing as a job, a couple years if you do, like me, as an hobby.

If you have programming subject at your school, most of the time it helps, but it's not enough, my personal advice is that, like an artisan, you will have to practice a lot before reaching a good level of mastery.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 pm

When you have a basic understanding of C# then you can see viewforum.php?f=22 to get started with the ScriptAPI for SFD.
1 x
Gurt