New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Make sure to read the rules.
RULE NR 3 UPDATED: Don't hurt, harass or provoke other forum members or people.

Playing local co-op games online

Here you can discuss other games by MythoLogic Interactive.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
KliPeH
Title: worst moderator on the forum
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Playing local co-op games online

Post by KliPeH » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:10 pm

I was watching a gameplay video of a famous game critic about a month ago, gameplay of a game which had a local co-op mode in it. The critic said that mode, along with any other game that has local co-op in it, can be streamed and played online (NOT "locally") with a free service called NVIDIA GameStream. It piqued my interest because of all the obscure indie games I used to play with my friends when I was over, but could never actually play over the web, so I decided I'll look into it when I have the time and means to do it.

Well, the time and means have arrived. I downloaded all the necessary files and attempted to use the service to pair the PC to my phone, so it can be paired with other PCs later on. It DID actually work, eventually. Not before I put more than an hour of my time into figuring out how all the things were supposed to connect and react. And boy, what a massive pain the ass looking problems up online was. Nearly useless, in fact. I received about 4 different error types along the way, and could find fixes for absolutely none of them. Every google search I made was answered with threads full of people who had the same problems and couldn't figure out how to troubleshoot them on their own. None of the tutorials I watched were of help to me either, that's including the generic instructions the devs wrote on their main page too.

At the end of the day, I did get it to work, with several successful tests of games I had in my Steam library to back it up.
What does all this mean? This means I can host any(?) local co-op game on my PC, stream it to a friend through this service and play it online without needing to have that friend there with me physically. This is great for playing:
a) with online friends, those who live in different countries and cannot be playing on the same keyboard as you are, and
b) obscure indie games which don't have multiplayer and are not going to have one either.

Since this is currently the only community I actively participate in, I was wondering if people had any interest in knowing how to repeat the process and play local co-op games with their friends online too. Would you like to have a tutorial made about using NVIDIA GameStream? Did you ever attempt to use it and need a place to troubleshoot your problems? Do you have any (easier) alternatives you could suggest?

I'd like to get some feedback so I don't have to waste my time writing a thread nobody would make use of in the first place.
5 x

Creeper
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Kachiba Ma-Nibba
SFD Account: Kreepah
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.6

Post by Creeper » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:14 pm

pfft you mean you could play SuperFighters online? with others?
I've never heard something like this but how does it work?
Last edited by Creeper on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Been playing Superfighters deluxe for ~4 years. Still hate and love it to every single bit.

KliPeH
Title: worst moderator on the forum
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Creeper wrote:pfft you mean you could play SuperFighters online? with others?
I've never heard something like this but how does't it work?
I don't really know how it works on code level. I could try describing what it does, though.

Basically, it requires you to have an NVIDIA graphics card. You then use the companion NVIDIA application, NVIDIA Experience; one of its features is streaming games to/from an NVIDIA console called SHIELD, which you'll be using to stream games "to". Except NVIDIA advertises them being able to stream to SHIELD only, never mentioning that in reality you can also stream games to/from other PCs with NVIDIA graphics cards as well. You download an additional program that emulates the SHIELD device so other PCs are streameable, and can download it on your Android/iOS devices as well (that's how I tried it and know it works).

From there the process is quite simple. You forward the program's ports so other devices can connect to it (much like port forwarding in SFD), get the host's IP, and use your 'guest' device (phone/other PC) to connect to it by IP. As for what's happening on the host's PC, you choose the quality of streaming - 720p30fps being the lowest, 1080p60fps being the highest - then the game from a custom list of applications, and run it in front of the NVIDIA Experience backdrop (seems to change your screen resolution to match the stream settings).

If the game isn't in your list, you add its directory (pointing to the .EXE) manually. This is where the old-SF-coop thing comes into play; I don't actually know whether it's possible. @Quinterball suggested downloading SF as an .SWF file and pointing N-Experience to that. I don't know if that'll work, but I know what might - choosing your web browser (Chrome/Mozilla/Opera etc.) as the game, then if it actually gets recognized as a game and works with the stream you navigate to SF (or any other online co-op game for that matter) and play that way.

From my experience, the streaming quality is superb; I have a 3mbps up. connection and tried streaming to my phone at 720p30fps, which worked greatly. No noticeable FPS drops whatsoever. N-Experience recommend a 6mbps connection, but 3 seems to work just fine. I guess it would start being a problem once you try to stream at a higher quality or to people who live farther away from you.
1 x

Brainy
Meatbag

Post by Brainy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:19 am

I would like to try it.
Because I only tried the NVIDIA GameStreaming thats in beta, but it only works on supported games.
And works quite bad as well.

So I wanted to test your way.

What programm were you using to emulate the SHIELD?
0 x