Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Water Dynamics

Share questions and tutorials related to the map editor. Share you maps in the Superfighters Deluxe Custom Maps section.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Water Dynamics

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 pm

I've seen maps where things float in the water but most of the time this is done using distance and target object joints to suspend each object in the water. In the map I'm working on I want to be able to break of parts of the map and have them fall into the water and float (but still gib players).

Is there a way to make like a.. trampoline of sorts under the water?
0 x
'<'

Kawabanga
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Epic fails amateur.
SFD Alias: My name is Kawa-bbanggza!!
Started SFD: Late 2015
Post by Kawabanga » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Check map "Monster Gut". If my memory doesn't fail me, it should have different floating mechanic.
0 x

Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Post by Duck » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 am

That's the map I looked at, it uses the method I described; pinning objects together using distance joints.
0 x
'<'

chelog
Fighter
Fighter
Title: 0110111101101011
SFD Alias: chelog
Started SFD: The first public version

Post by chelog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:09 am

It's possible to do it with help of script adding some vertical force upwards while objects are in water zone. But that may be a little bit laggy in multiplayer.
1 x

ShutDownMan
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Yeah, science!
SFD Alias: ShutDownMan, Devil Shut
Started SFD: 1.2.something

Post by ShutDownMan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:44 am

Yeah, as chelog said, it can get a bit laggy...

I made the script, it works as expected for objects like crates and boxes, I think it will get really buggy for tiny objects.

Here's the map.
it's important to note that it's not flawless, but it can get a little less worse.

Also, this method was created by (R.I.P.) Gerald, on his map (never released) Citizens Versus.

Edit:
If you still wants it, here's a improved version (still not flawless), on this one it behaves better with the dynamic objects at the cost of a bit of more processing.
If you want, mess around with the variables (timer delay, joints force, rail's position, etc), maybe you get better results than me...
1 x
~ShutDownMan