Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Lunatic's Competitive Edits (2! New Steamship!)

Share custom maps and discuss them here! If you have questions related to the map editor bring it up in the Superfighters Deluxe Map Editor section.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Lunatic's Competitive Edits (2! New Steamship!)

Post by Lunatic » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Greetings, folks! This is my latest project in anything considered competitive or balanced for SFD. Definitely not a popular subject!

That said, there are a handful of maps that feel lacking in particular areas, they feel stifling or troublesome. In this thread I'll be posting my edits of official maps. The goal of these map edits is to add/subtract slightly and make sure to round out any rough edges. General philosophy is that:
-Maps should retain their original flavor. This means keeping the namesake of Pistons in the map, for better or for worse.
-Additions should have a straightforward purpose. Why is there a platform here? Why is there a ladder here?
--- This means don't add anything unnecessary!!! Can't stress this enough.
-Edits should be minimalistic in nature and only serve to fill gaps left in current map's design.

Maybe it's 5AM and I'm tired, I hope I'm explaining that right. That said, let's get to the maps.

TOWER
Download

The changes on this map were circled in colors to contrast their backgrounds. On the left, I added a chandelier to the top floor, low enough to ledge grab and jump onto it. You can then jump into the office on top from this perch. This spot also gives you a decent spot to fire into other map areas but leaves you very exposed. The chandelier also provides permanent cover from the office provided you hug the leftmost ledge.

I stretched the platform below the breakable concrete out to catch it, then moved it over a little so players could still climb up the ladder leading up to it. This also adds another way for players to get up and into the room. It's a bit tight though, so be careful. On the wall to it's right, I added a crack for players to ledgegrab in case the camera breaks, and to the left on the bottom floor I added an extra little balcony for those sight-seers out there.

On the right side of the map, I made the wooden platforms unbreakable and then added ladders between each floor. The middle room often felt unused and was very tricky to navigate to/out, so I wanted to make it more accessible to encourage players to use it more as a route and for combat in general. For those concerned the rightmost elevator becomes useless as a result, it's great at absorbing incoming fire for the fighter that needs an exit ASAP.

Overall, the map feels much more fluid and should encourage fighters to be both more aggressive and more conservative. As a large, open map, fighters will often be able to shoot at each other from many positions. Situational awareness will be key to surviving this map! Remember to make full use of your surroundings.

STEAMSHIP
Download

I've liked this map for a long while now. It's big enough to have room to run around, but tight enough to keep players from putting too much distance between each other. With it's open space and little vertical cover, you're either using the static map placements to soak bullets for you or diving between the dynamic objects that spawn. That said, I've always felt like this map lacked just slightly in maneuverability, and most importantly, had a huge issue with the top left of the map being nearly impossible to approach. I hope these edits address these issues well.

Addressing the circled portions again, starting on the left-top, I changed some of the solid blocks to platforms. This gives the camping spot a better get-away, but it also means that the player can't be immune to approach. This makes their feet incredibly open, and also gives smart players room to throw some nasty surprises through the floor. The leftmost block remains solid so that players can more easily ledgegrab it.

Below there, the crate has been lowered slightly. This means the hook can be reached from the platform even if the crate has been knocked loose. You can also use the hook as light cover to spray down the hall, but keep in mind a shot to your feet will also knock the crate loose. I also doubled up on rope for the hook so that it doesn't spin around wildly when you grab it. As a final note, you can ledge grab the block immediately while on the crate or jump all the way up top while on top of the hook. Options!

To the right, I replaced the simple wooden shelf with a permanent wooden platform, so that players can always hop up top from the bar counter. On the other side of the room, a ladder has been added to reach the top floor faster, and a ledgegrab has been added to the block below the window so that players always have roof access too.

These edits aimed to give players more options to get around the map, and to make the spot on the top left a little less unapproachable. Hopefully they fit their purpose, as I'm a little short on time and can't playtest these edits for a few hours like I could Tower.

As always, I'm open to suggestions and comments on what's good/bad about the edits on these maps. If you have anything to add to the discussion, I'm all ears!
4 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

gwendalaze
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Jarate Yellow Belt
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.4

Post by gwendalaze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 pm

That's a nice one ! What about doing something to storage and its awful camping point ?
0 x
- Gwendalaze, failing at being fun, just like this signature

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:13 pm

It's on the list of to-do's! I'm not sure how to tackle Storage yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get there.
1 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Post by Duck » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm

The ladder on the far left should be a locked ladder (the one where you kick the lock and the ladder extends).
0 x
'<'

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 pm

I was never too fond of those. If the map ever spawned in a way that wasn't convenient or it wasn't knocked down early, you might not be able to get up there later or would have to waste ammo to open up a path of travel. I much prefer a static path forward.

I'm updating the thread right now to add Steamship, so if it's not there already just wait a couple minutes!

UPDATE: Hey guys, if you've downloaded Steamship, make sure you check with the image and look at your map to be certain yours is up to date. Since posting I've toyed with the map a lot and I'm (HOPING!!!) that this is the final iteration. Be sure your map is up to date!

Also I completely forgot to add a farbg to Tower so that should be updated shortly, make sure you have the correct version.
2 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Creeper
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: okokok is real #1
SFD Account: Krypa
SFD Alias: Krypa
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.6

Post by Creeper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Visuals on steamship aren't as good. But definitely give a better "Gameplay" statistic.
0 x