Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Game freezing sporadically

Having trouble running SFD? This is the place to get help and report errors.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Alexbra25
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: lucky boy
SFD Account: Alexbra25
SFD Alias: |LPH| Just me
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.6

Game freezing sporadically

Post by Alexbra25 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:02 am

This is something that has been happening to me since older versions of the game. Sometimes the game keeps freezing and stuttering and then it stops. It freezes for a few seconds, then unfreezes for a brief moment, freezes again, etc, and the whole thing lasts like 7 seconds, then it goes back to normal.

My computer is pretty good. It's a laptop with windows 10, 16 gb ram and i7 processor. I play on fullscreen, 1920x1080 resolution and my fps is always high, like above 400 all the time, but I play with vsync on so it's capped at 60fps. Apparently SFD should run smoothly, so I don't understand why these freezings always happen to me. If this happens to someone else too, please let me know.
1 x
Love will tear us apart

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:30 am

I have a similar issue. What’s annoying is that there really isn’t a clear solution to it. Have you check your task manager at all? You should try running the game at “High Priority” by going to details then right clicking the game and clicking “set priority”. That may help a little bit. While you are on Task Manager try to check if there is any application or system in your computer that is overloading anyone of “sections”. For me, the “Antimalware Executable” literally overloads my disk which makes everything slow and annoying (This happens only sometimes), and it impossible to close due to it being an antivirus and obviously they wouldn’t allow for it to be closed. For you it might be different. It might be some random application that you can just “end task” and then your done, however if not then I would just recommend you restart your computer and hope it doesn’t happen.

*I really am not much of a tech wiz, so please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I just figured I would try to assist you since I have such a similar issue*
Last edited by RickAvory on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am

RickAvory wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:30 am
For me, the “Antimalware Executable” literally overloads my disk which makes everything slow and annoying (This happens only sometimes), and it impossible to close due to it being an antivirus and obviously they wouldn’t allow for it to be closed.
Wtf, that's literally the same problem Im having here. I ve been asking everyone about this and I have no idea on what to do about this, I might keep trying to find a way to stop this on google later.

Anyways, in my point of view, SFD is a game where every single frame even in 200 per second (although our screen does not display more than 60 and our perception can't differ if Im not mistaken) is useful. That may be because it is a fast-paced action game with very short time decision taking and a phenomenon of competitivity we don't find anywhere, so even short freezes are not acceptable, they can be a complete disgrace for us does not matter the frequence of it. It also is very smoothy, clean and clear as raw game, we do see every single movement and action the exactly moment it happens.

That may be the reason why people can be bothered by game freezes in this game but not while playing anything else. I doubt it is something about the game itself.

I have my reasons to strongly believe that this problem is related to audio, at least on my laptop. Actually, I'm pretty sure the problem lies mostly on this. When I listen to audio files or when I'm adventuring myself composing Splinter-like (one day Imma reach him), the delay and lag is insanely high to the point I can't do anything and the computer can even die, but when I'm using some plugin like Asio4all (it dedicates the audio only for one application) it doesn't lag at all. Too bad I can't use Asio for SFD or anything else. I wonder if the reason for this is my speaker sound driver or something like this.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Endergore
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Decent Fighter
SFD Account: Endergore
SFD Alias: (EA) Endergore
Started SFD: Before you did
Post by Endergore » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 pm

I have a very similar problem too. when I host it just freezes and everyone is either standing still or stuck in the animation they were previously doing then comes back after a few seconds. also everyone that's in my server experiences the freeze as well. It only happens sometimes, but it still disrupts the flow of gameplay when your just casually playing.
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Endergore wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 pm
I have a very similar problem too. when I host it just freezes and everyone is either standing still or stuck in the animation they were previously doing then comes back after a few seconds. also everyone that's in my server experiences the freeze as well. It only happens sometimes, but it still disrupts the flow of gameplay when your just casually playing.
That problem seems like related to wi-fi connection or internet problems in general, specifically. Not related with the subject probably.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm not sure but it could help reinstalling the .NET framework required by SFD and let Windows do all the optimization stuff afterwards (which takes some CPU and hours to finish). This is just me guessing but could be a potential required thing to do.
If you have SFD on a mechanical harddrive it could be the harddrive spinning down becoming idle - which usually takes a few seconds to spin up in case SFD needs to read some files from disk at some point. Could be a potential cause.
2 x
Gurt

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Gurt wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:57 pm
[..]If you have SFD on a mechanical harddrive it could be the harddrive spinning down becoming idle - which usually takes a few seconds to spin up in case SFD needs to read some files from disk at some point. Could be a potential cause.
Indeed I can confirm that phenomenon on one of my secondary hard drives, when it comes of reading something from a disk and the latter is in "sleep" mode it will freeze the application until the source is active again. (that happens to every app that is trying to read data from a hard disk turned off, not only SFD)
0 x